Hannover Langenhagen Airport (HAJ)
History, Facts and Overview
Built to replace a nearby central airfield, Hanover Airport officially opened in the year of 1952 and grew slowly in size, offering a limited number of flights. Some 20 years later, the airport found it necessary to expand and improve both its facilities and overall appearance, and so two modern, compact terminals were soon built, to much regional acclaim. These two terminals were named A and B, and joined by terminal C in 1998.
Of great importance commercially, Hannover Langenhagen Airport opened a fast S-Bahn train line in 2000, linking the city's Central Station and also the town of Hamelin, famous for its Pied Piper fairytale. Further S-Bahn lines and connections have been added since, linking cities such as Hildesheim and Paderborn.
Facilities at Hannover Airport include several shops and duty-free stores, such as the Beate UHSE Shop, Travel Value Shops, Last Minute Supermarkt, Parfümerie Beauty Port and Hannover Souvenirs store. Those in need of refreshments will find over ten different bars and eateries around the airport. Popular choices include Bar Arabica, Bar Rafael, Cindy's Diner, Marché Bakery and the Medi@cafe Internet, where you can surf the web whilst enjoying a pastry and coffee.
Other facilities onsite include foreign currency exchange, cashpoints, telephones, a conference room and a helpful airport service centre, providing an advance ticket service. There are also around 40 different travel agencies, such as Alltours GMBH, Discount Travel, Hannover Airport Reisecenter, Touristik Express, Thomas Cook and Worldwide Travel. A number of car rental firms are represented in car park P1, while car parking facilities are readily on hand, with several multi-storey car parks offering over 14,000 spaces in total.